Hazard Mitigation Plan 2013
Natural Hazards Mitigation Plan Update
The County of Kankakee has begun the process of updating its Natural Hazards Mitigation Plan. This update will present a strategy for reducing the County's vulnerability to the impacts of natural hazard events such as floods and tornadoes. The County's previous plan was adopted in 2006.
Hazard Mitigation planning is a proactive effort to identify actions that can be taken to reduce the dangers to life and property from natural hazard events. These long-term strategies include planning, policy and regulation changes, educational programs, infrastructure projects, and other activities. The Federal Disaster Mitigation Act of 2000 requires all municipalities and counties that wish to be eligible to receive FEMA funding for hazard mitigation grants, to adopt a local multi-hazard mitigation plan and update this plan in five-year intervals.
Public participation is an important part of this planning process and members of the Kankakee County community are encouraged to submit comments and questions. If you are interested in finding out more or would like to submit information regarding natural hazards impacting the County of Kankakee, please contact the Planning Department at 815-937-2940. Opportunities to participate are also listed in the timeline below. When a draft plan is available, it will be posted to this website
In order to gather information from Kankakee County citizens regarding natural hazards, the planning staff has created an online survey. This survey will be available until July 5, 2013, for citizens to share their natural hazard experiences. View the Citizen Survey.
- June 21st, 2013: The first meeting of the Mitigation Advisory Task Force will be held at 10:00 am on this date on the 3rd floor of the Kankakee Library located at 200 E Court Street in downtown Kankakee.
- July 5th, 2013: Draft Plan is expected to be complete.
- July 6th to July 22nd, 2013: Draft Hazard Mitigation Plan available for public review.
- July 12, 2013: Task Force meeting will be held at 10 am at the Economic Alliance office on the 5th floor of 200 E Court Street.
- July 23rd, 2013: Public Hearing, Location to be announced.
- July 24th, 2013: Planning, Zoning, and Agriculture Committee approval.
- August 13th, 2013: Kankakee County Board adoption.
- Press Release (PDF)
- Cover (PDF)
- Table of Contents (PDF)
- Executive Summary (PDF)
- Chapter 1. Introduction (PDF)
- Chapter 2. Hazard Profile (PDF)
- Chapter 3. Vulnerability Assessment (PDF)
- Chapter 4. Goals (PDF)
- Chapter 5. Preventative Measures (PDF)
- Chapter 6. Property Protection (PDF)
- Chapter 7. Emergency Management (PDF)
- Chapter 8. Flood Control (PDF)
- Chapter 9. Public Information (PDF)
- Chapter 10. Action Plan (PDF)
- Appendix A. Public Involvement (PDF)
- Appendix B. Summary of Plan Changes (PDF)
- Appendix C. Action Plan Table (PDF)