- County Administration
- Planning Department
- Building Division
- Code Enforcement
Kankakee County Code Enforcement is responsible for ensuring residences and properties in unincorporated Kankakee County are maintained in accordance with the 2003 International Property Maintenance Code and the Kankakee County Building and Zoning codes. Property maintenance has been determined to impact the property values of neighborhoods and the County as a whole. The Code Enforcement Division provides general information on property maintenance regulations, conducts inspections of residential properties by complaint, investigates alleged violations, issues violation letters, and when necessary will refer violations to the Kankakee County State's Attorney's office for prosecution.
A wide variety of complaints that are received by this office include:
- Unlicensed / Inoperable motor vehicles
- Accumulation of rubbish and garbage
- Dilapidated buildings & accessory structures
- Tallgrass and weeds
- Illegal kennels
- Illegal businesses in residential districts
- Construction without proper permits
- Construction in the floodplain
Code Enforcement Policies
Kankakee County respects the desires of all residents and business owners to enjoy their property.
- The County will enforce its codes based on the violation.
- The County seeks compliance first and foremost.
- Enforcement efforts are directed at providing opportunities for solving problems and eliminating violations. In most cases, 30 days at minimum is given to correct the violation(s).
- When sufficient opportunity for eliminating the nuisance has been offered and compliance has not been met, the County will aggressively pursue relief in the courts, including civil and criminal remedies.